A former senior U.S health official warned Congress that because of the coronavirus, the nation could face the “darkest winter in modern history.” Rick Bright headed the government agency attempting to create a vaccine but was suspended last month from his post. Mr Bright claims he was fired from the job after President Trump declined to endorse untested drug treatment as a “game-changer.” Mr Trump has said that Mr Bright is an employee who is “disgruntled.”
Mr Bright also informed the House of Representatives subcommittee on health about “lives lost” in the early stages of the epidemic due to government “inaction.” He said he also spoke about a shortage of medical equipment in January, bringing the problem to the Department of Health and Human Services ( HHS) “highest rates,” but “did not receive any response.”
In other US developments:
- A total of 85,807 people now have died in the US from coronavirus. The state of New York continues to experience the highest death rate in the US with 27,607 deaths.
- Richard Burr, the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee ‘s Republican chairman, states he step down while investigating claims of insider trading. Mr Burr accuses of using inside details to avoid business losses caused by the coronavirus pandemic
- Upon receiving death threats and more violent demonstrations from right-wing activists lobbying against lockout legislation, the Michigan state legislature cancelled its Thursday session
- Nearly a quarter of US employees now demand unemployment compensation, following the number of people seeking unemployment that jumped by nearly three million last week
- President Trump’s Florida resort Mar-a-Lago will partly re-open this weekend, but visitors will need to keep social distancing, US broadcaster CNN says.
Rick Bright Warns About COVID
Mr Bright warned during his testimony that “closing” was the “window of opportunity” for the US to deal with the coronavirus.
Mr Bright also tried to tell the subcommittee that he received emails from a medical-grade face mask supplier that warned of a severe shortage in January that he would “never forget.”
So, Mr Bright said that his removal from office stemmed from his insistence that money allocated by Congress. It is to deal with the virus place into safe. It scientifically proves solutions rather than into medicines. Vaccines and other innovations lack scientific merit.
A lawsuit from a whistleblower, filed earlier this month, says Mr Bright. He is the head of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (Barda) for political reasons. Mr Bright claims he is jobless or failing to promote the hydroxychloroquine. Also, related chloroquine drugs as possible remedies for Covid-19. President Trump had pointed to hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug. It is as a possible “game-changer” in Covid-19 care-with several experts warning it may be unsuccessful or even harmful.
Medications of No Use
Studies performed by the U.S. Veterans Health Administration submitted for expert analysis. It shows that the medication did not help those taking it. Also, may potentially increase the risk of mortality for patients in U.S. hospitals for veterans. Mr Bright’s lawsuit says he decided to talk to a journalist. This is because officials in the government “refuse to listen” to his warnings. He said he had a duty to try to protect the public. It is from substances that consider posing a serious to a unique threat to public health and safety.
President Trump told reporters just after hearing: “I don’t know him. I have never met him. I don’t want to meet him.
Secretary of Health Alex Azar tried to claim officials had followed recommendations from Mr Bright.